In the Presence of the Shepherd; part 2
“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You
are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. ” (Psalm 32:4)
A. “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…” (v.4a)
1. When a person is afraid the usually don’t walk, the walk quickly or may run. You’ll
notice that David walks not in the valley of death but in the valley of the SHADOW
a. This tells us two things
1. He walked, He did not run because he was not afraid (v.4b).
2. “shadow of death” tells us this was a place of fear but not a place of actual
2. From this we see that the place where David was looked or sounded scary but would
not actually cause harm him.
3. This is similar to life today. We find ourselves in places or times of great fear but we
often do not endure any real harm only fear.
i.“The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe.”
B. “I will fear no evil; for thou are with me;…” (v.4b)
1. David did not fear because God was with Him or we might say He was with God.
Much like a frighten child, a child of God is comforted and relieved by the safety of
i.“I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in
safety.” (Psalm 4:8)
2. It’s also important to notice that only those who are with the Lord can find safety in
i.“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every
spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,” (Ephesians 1:3)
C. “Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.” (v.4c)
1. It is with the rod that God protects His sheep. He defends them from spiritual harm.
The word of God is also called a sword, with this sword we too can defend our spiritual
i. “Now out of His mouth goes a sharp[a] sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.” (Revelation 19:15)
2. It is with the staff that God brings the straying sheep back into the fold.
"Working Through The Scriptures" is a Weekly writing/podcast designed to aide you in your Bible Study.